128 Days of Summer

Adventures from April 28 through September 1 of 2013

Tuesday, April 30

Leave a comment

Today was kind of excited because I was able to finish a project that I’ve spent at LEAST half the semester waiting to do.

Around Easter there was this WONDERFUL can of chocolate eggs, and I just really really REALLY wanted the jar/can/container….it was just adorable :3 However, the bottom part was basically printed onto the metal so it was impossible to rip off and have a nice metal can.

So I did what every good DIY wanna be does. I did it myself and turned it into a lovely …. can. I don’t really feel like being an excessive DIY person, but I did take some process pictures. I’m really bad with planning in advance for my projects, I just go for it and design while I’m working. Something will inspire me at some point in the process, and everything just flows from there. It is a horrible method. If you are an aspiring artist don’t do that. Think your projects through.

Anyhow …. this is what it started as….
Original Can

a lovely (but un-useful) container

Step One: cover up that RIDICULOUS printed bottom half. I chose to use some string/twine and a long piece of grey paper left over from a project I did this semester.

long can cover close up can cover
string on the paper….
Can step 1
and on the can! (and a piece wrapped around the neck…)

Step Two: I covered up the bottom because (sadly) that was where the nutrition label was and I didn’t particularly want that on my can, even if it WAS on the bottom…

Can Bottom
much better

Step Three: Adding a bow so there is a pretty feature. I first tried tying the string and the ribbon together, but it was a massive build up of stuff, didn’t lay properly, and I just REALLY wanted to use one of those pearl things once I found them…

Bow 1 Bow 2
How I made the bow … did not know how to explain that first step in words -_-
Finished Bow
See? Just look at how nice that pearl looks…

Step Four: Cover up that label on the top of the can. This actually was harder than I thought it would be since I was using a fast drying glue gun instead of take-forever-and-maybe-not-even-stick white glue…but it turned out alright!

Top 1 Top 2
Starting out and not knowing what I was getting into …. and then finished! (with another pearl OF COURSE)

And that was it! Here are some finished product shots … and how it’s being used now.

Finished 1 Finished Can Finished and Used Can
Ended up looking way nicer than I had planned … the flowers in it are actually taped onto pens…so its a pen holder!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s